Looking For Anything Specific?

Header Ads

Michael Jackson 12 Years Old - Interview 1970






ABC: What kind of audience do you play to, I mean what do you ... Who do you think is listening when you perform your music and what do you try to tell them? Or do you try to tell them anything?

Michael: You mean when I'm singing?

ABC: Yeah

Michael: Uh ... while I'm singing?

ABC: Yeah

Michael: What do I tell them ... ?

ABC: I mean what ... who do you think is listening to your music? Describe your audience.

Michael: Well, maybe some guys from television or something. I don't know.

ABC: Who did you start listening to, to get your kind of singing style?

Michael: James Brown. James Brown and ... I'll say James Brown and Sammy Davis, Jr. Cause I like the kind of things they do. Like fast music.

ABC: What did you borrow from them?

Michael: Well I do ... mostly just dancing on stage. And I just like the way Sammy sings.

ABC: Do they teach you anything when you listen to their music?

Michael: No. I just watch them on television.

ABC: What do you ... describe the performance that you put on.

Michael: What I do?

ABC: Yeah.

Michael: Uh, well most of my songs are fast.

ABC: I mean, what do you put into it?

Michael: Well whatever I sing, that's what I really mean, like when I'm singing a song. I don't sing it if I don't mean it.

ABC: Um ... how would you say the audience reacts in most cases?

Michael: How do they react? Acting wild. And they're happy to see us, so we're happy to see most of our fans after ... from last year.

ABC: How did you first form this musical group?

Michael: Where?

ABC: How? Where? What ... who um ... I mean who put it down? How did you get into the music?

Michael: Yeah ... (motions to Tito)

Tito: The first performance of Jackson 5 was me, Jackie, and Jermaine. And we'd sing around the house all the time, like we didn't have nothing to do. Then we added Michael, then Marlon picked up on it, and my father kept us rehearsing. And we knew someday that, you know, we'd be discovered.

ABC: So how long have you been together?

Tito: 5 years

Jermaine: Yeah. Ah. Aw he got the Playboy. (tries to steal it)

Michael: (waves him away) No, sit down. Now I would like to tell you, all the people on TV, one of my favorite ... (?) I found it through the Playboy magazine.

Jermaine: Michael they're filming you.

Michael: (looks like he's been caught)

(Starts clapping as their private tutor Rose Fine comes in)

Rose: Can I sit?

Michael: Ms. Fine!

Rose: You scared me to death Tito, and you boys don't seem to mind it. What is this?

(Cut in film)

Michael: That's why

Rose: Oh that's why (inaudible). You better think hard about yesterday, because that's what you're going to talk about.(Takes magazine from Michael). Not a movie magazine.

Michael: But why?

Rose: Haven't you anything that looks important? Playboy, that wouldn't be it.

Rose: Ok you want to tell me about who ... Who can tell me something about Andrew Jackson?

Tito: Huh?

Rose: Tell me something about Andrew Jackson, who was he?

Tito: He was our 7th president.

Jermaine: 17th

Tito: 7th

Rose: 7th

Jermaine: 7th

Michael: I forgot, what year was he born in?

Rose: 18 something, I've forgotten too, or maybe 1700 and something. He was governor in about 1720 ... 1827 ... or somewhere around there

Michael: Was that his family that was in the grave with him?

Rose: Well the family wasn't in the grave with him. But he and his wife were buried side by side